FIRST NAME: LUCAN
DATE OF BIRTH: June 5, 1948
Address: Romania, Klausenburg, Alverna str., 40E
Marital status: Married
• Professor of Urology - Head of the Urology Department at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Iuliu Hatieganu" Cluj-Napoca
• Head of Clinical Institute of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Cluj-Napoca
• Head of Regional Transplant Office Cluj
• 1972 M.D. Graduate of University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila" Bucuresti, Faculty of Medicine
• 1972 - 1974 Internship - by contest (second admitted at surgical specialties) (Emergency Clinical Hospital "Floreasca", Clinic of Cardiovascular Surgery Fundeni, Urology Clinic Fundeni, Anestesy and Intensive Care Clinic Fundeni)
• 1974 - 1977 Resident in Urology
• 1977 Specialist in Urology, admitted by contest on a Specialist position in the Urology Clinic of Fundeni Hospital
• 1986 Doctorate in Medical Sciences ("Individualization of the treatment of vesical neoplasm according to the evolution status")- first Doctorate thesis finalized al the Urology Clinic in Fundeni Hospital, under the guidance of Prof. Dr. E. Proca
• 1990 Senior Medical Doctor in Urology
• 1990 Lecturer - Head of the Urology Department at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Iuliu Hatieganu" Cluj-Napoca
• 1992 Professor - Head of the Urology Department at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Iuliu Hatieganu" Cluj-Napoca
• 1995 - Head of Renal Transplant Centre Cluj -Napoca
• 1999 - Head of Clinical Institute of Urology and Renal Transplantation, Cluj-Napoca
• 2005, April - Head of Regional Transplant Office Cluj
• 1980-1981 Reconstructive Urology and Oncology, Bruxelles, Ghent, Antwerpen (Prof. W. Gregoir, Prof. W. De Sy, Prof. L. Denis) - Belgium.
• 1982-1985, successive scolarships in Great Britain, granted by admission tests by British Council. Stages in Urology Clinics: "White Chapel", London - Prof. J. Blandy, Urology Institute - Prof. J.Wickam, Urology Clinic "Royal Infirmary Edinburgh", Prof. G. Chisholm, Urology Clinic "Royal Infirmary" Leeds, Prof. Ph. Smith.
• Renal Transplant: Glasgow, Edinburgh - 1991, 1992; Nijmegen - 1993; Rome - 1991-1992; Leida and Rennes - 1994.
Attendance at International Congresses - admitted papers:
• European Urology Congress - Budapest, Genova, Berlin, Paris, Barcelona, Stokholm, Bruxelles, Geneva, Birmigham, Madrid, Istanbul, Paris
• Congresses of Mediteranean Urology Society from Istanbul, Rhodos, Barcelona, Cairo
• ESOT/ETCO Congresses- Paris, Viena, Madrid, Budapesta, Lisabona, Venice, Genoa, Praga
• Congresses of American Urological Association- Las Vegas, Orlando, San Diego, San Francisco, Atlanta, Anaheim
• International Seminar: "Renal Transplant from living donor" - Uppsala - Sweden
• National Congresses of Romtransplant - Cluj- Napoca, Bucarest, Tg. Mures, Eforie Nord
• Mediteranean Congress, Egipt
• Congress of International Society of Renal Transplant, Rome
• Romanian Academy Symposium, Bucharest: "Organ transplantation"
• 53 Kongress der Deutschen Gesellschaft fur Urologie e.V.- Dusseldorf, Germany
• Third Urology Congress of the Central Eastern Europe Society, Oradea, Romania
• The 33rd International Congress of Pathophysiology of Pregnancy, Cluj-Napoca
• International Symposium on Living Donor Organ Transplantation, 2002, Essen, Germany
• Symposium -"Zilele Academice Clujene", Cluj-Napoca
• Abdominal Organ Transplantation From Living Donors: State of the Art, Gubbio, Italy
• Mondial Congresses on Endourology, Montreal, Genoa, Amsterdam
• National Congresses of Romanian Association for Endoscopic Surgery and Interventional Techniques, Bucharest, Cluj- Napoca
• Days of the University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Iuliu Hatieganu", Cluj- Napoca, Romania
• Cluj- Napoca Academy Days
• Congress of European Society of Oncological Urology, Austria
• National Congress of Ultrasonography, Cluj- Napoca
• National Congress of Endourology, ESWL and Workshop, Sovata
• "TELEMEDICINE- success technology in the XXI century"- Bucharest
• The International Congress of Transplant Society, Vienna, Austria
• The Annual Congress of Romanian Society of Oncologic Radiology, Cluj- Napoca
• The 4th Symposium "Nicolae Cajal", Bucharest
• Romania- Austria Symposiums, Vienna
• The First National Symposium of Robotic Surgery, Bucharest
• Symposium Cluj- Normandy, Cluj- Napoca
• Symposium organized by Medical Science Academy, paper "Minim- invasive treatment of urinary tract tumors"
Member of the following local and international scientific associations:
• E.A.U. (European Association of Urology)
• S.I.U. (International Urology Society)
• E.S.O.T. (European Society for Organ Transplantation )
• Managing committee of C.I.T.O. (Consorzio Internuniversitario per I Trapianti d'Organo)
• Italian Urology Society
• Romanian Association of Urogenital diseases
• Romanian Society of Organ Transplantation (Romtransplant)- initiator and founding member
• "ABSTRACT REVIEWER" for the Congresses of European Association of Urology, (1992 - Genova, 1994 - Berlin, 1996 - Paris, 1998 - Barcelona, 1999 - Stockholm, 2000- Bruxelles)
• "CHAIRMAN" at video sessions and posters, at all E.A.U. Congresses, from 1990 until 1998.
• "CHAIRMAN"- The 33rd International Congress of Pathophysiology of Pregnancy, Cluj-Napoca 15-17 Noiembrie 2001
• ABSTRACT REVIEWER for "EUROPEAN UROLOGY", 2004
• Member of the Romanian Scientists Academy, 2007
• Corespondent member of the Medical Science Academy, 2008
• First "INTERNATIONAL TEXTBOOK ON UROLOGICAL SURGICAL TECHNIQUES" from Romania, Atlas Clusium Publishing, 1996.
• "TEXTBOOK OF UROLOGICAL SURGICAL TECHNIQUES", under the editorship of Mihai Lucan, Second Edition, 2001.
• First "TEXTBOOK OF RENAL TRANSPLANT" from Romania, Celsius Publishing, 1998.
• "RENAL TRANSPLANTATION FROM LIVING DONOR - ROMANIAN EXPERIENCE", under the editorship of D. Fahlenkamp, S.A. Loening, W. Mansson, R.-H. Rinsert, p. 151-159, Publishing Blackwell Vissenshafts - Verlag, Berlin-Wien, 1997.
• "NEWS IN SURGERY", under the editorship of Cornel Dragomirescu, Irinel Popescu, chapter "News in Renal Transplant", Celsius Publishing, 1998.
• "UROLOGY COURSE", under the editorship of Mihai Lucan, University of Medicine and Pharmacy Publishing, edition 1992 and edition completed and revised, 1998.
• "NOTEBOOK FOR PRACTICE ACTIVITIES FOR STUDENTS" under the editorship of Mihai Lucan, 1998.
• "GUIDELINES IN RENAL TRANSPLANTATION", Kälbe T., Benoit G., Lucan M, Nicita G., Sells R., Burgos Revilla F.J., Wiesel M. -The Guidelines are edited and printed for European Association of Urology Healthcare Office by: Drukkerij Gelderland bv, Arnhem, the Netherlands, 2003
• "VASCULAR ULTRASONOGRAPHY", authors: Prof. Dr. Radu Badea, Conf. Dr. Sorin Dudea, Chapter- The Kidney, page 501, Medical Publishing, 2004
• "TEXTBOOK OF CLINICAL ULTRASONOGRAPHY", chapter 21: "Transplanted abdominal organs", Medical Publishing, 2000
• "SURGERY TEXTBOOK", under the editorship of Prof. Dr. Irinel Popescu, Volume I: "Urology", Coordinator: Prof. Dr. Mihai Lucan, Romanian Academy Publishing, 2008
Clinical and Surgical Activity:
• 1975-1990 Attendance as second surgeon in over 6,000 surgical interventions
• 1990- 2011- over 40,000 urologic surgeries, large and extra large interventions- reconstructive after oncological procedures, plastic pediatric interventions, over 26,000 endoscopic and laparoscopic surgical interventions.
• Transplant programme - 1300 renal transplants, 4 kidney-pancreas transplants, 2 pancreas transplant.
Scientific and Professional Priorities:
• intestinal substitution of urinary bladder;
• endoscopic resection of prostate adenoma with vesical hipopressure
• vaporisation of prostate adenoma and combined technique resection-vaporisation
• plastic indurations of cavernous bodies throw several surgical techniques
• transplantation - kidney, kidney-pancreas, pancreas
• urological congenital abnormalities on upper and inferior urinary tract (over 600 pediatric interventions)
• total prostatectomy for prostate cancer
• urologic laparoscopy and innovation in renal laparoscopic prelevation
• first demonstrative course of laparoscopic surgery assisted by robot
• National premiere- treatment of the benign prostate hyperplasia using laser vaporization and plasma vaporization
• National premiere- criotherapy for prostate adenocarcinoma and criotherapy for urinary tract tumors, October 2006
• Mondial premiere- first criotherapy for the tumor of transplanted kidney, July 2008
• National premiere- robotic assisted laparoscopic suprarenalectomy, December 2009
Innovation and Priorities in Renal Transplant:
• first pediatric transplants
• first transplants in pre-emptive patients
• first transplants in anaephric patients
• first graft transplants with anatomic abnormalities
• highest number of transplants from living and cadaver donors
• renal laparoscopic prelevation
• first crossed renal Tx - DOMINO between non-relating living donors in Europe
• first renal Tx after immunological modulation by plasmapheresis and Ig intravenous at hypersensitive patients or without appropriate immunological matching which allowed the change of initial immunological response (only one similar experience, published in 2000 in USA -Transplantation Sept. vol 70)
• first European renal Tx from 2 years old pediatric donor to 2 years old pediatric recipient
• Mondial premiere - renal prelevation with robotic assistance in telemedicine system SOCRATES 12 Mai, 2003
• first combined kidney-pancreas transplant in Romania, July 2004
• first transgroup renal transplant in Eastern Europe, February 2008
• first triple retransplantation in Romania, July, 2009
• National premiere- renal transperitoneal prelevation with robotic assistance from living donor, January 2010
• Awarded with "Meritul Sanitar" - Mare Ofiter - 2006
• October 2000 - National Order "Steaua Romaniei" (Rank of Commander)
• December 2001 - Romanian Academy Award for the publication "HANDBOOK OF RENAL TRANSPLANT"
• Award for "Treatise of Surgical Urological Techniques", Romanian Physician College, Bucharest, 2001
• Sanitarian Merit, Bucharest, 1979
• "Men of the Year", "Monitorul de Cluj" Daily, Klausenburg, 1999
• Honorary Citizen of Rennes, France
• Diploma "The best expert", Journalists Association from Medical Field, Bucharest, 2000
• Honorary Citizen of Klausenburg, 2001
• Diploma of Excellency in Romanian Medicine awarded by Romanian Government, Bucharest, 2001
• Diploma of Excellency for Remarkable Achievements in Organ Transplantation awarded by The County Council, Klausenburg, 2001
• Certificated Evaluated Expert in Competence and Scientific Attitude for Activity of Evaluation of High Education, Bucharest, 2001
• Diploma Honorificum awarded by University of Cracovia
• Diploma for The 10 years of Activity, Recipients Association from Romania, Bucharest, 2001
• The prize for the best hospital awarded by Journalists Association from Medical Field, Bucharest, 2002
• The prize for the best abstract presentation, European Society of Oncological Urology, Viena, Austria, 2004
• "Iuliu Hatieganu" award for the first combined kidney- pancreas- transplant performed in Romania, awarded by University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Iuliu Hatieganu" Klausenburg, 2004
• Diploma of honor for the anniversary of 5 years of activity of Clinical Institute of Urology and Renal Transplantation Cluj awarded by the County Council, Klausenburg, 2005
• The prize for the best hospital awarded by Journalists Association from Medical Field, December, 2002
• Diploma of Excellency awarded by Journalists Association from Medical Field, "The best surgeon of 2004", for the first combined kidney- pancreas- transplant performed in Romania and 25 years from the first transplant whereon he participated.